After averaging around 75 new breweries a year for the past four years, I predicted at the beginning of 2011 that the upcoming year would be a bit slower for us. Looking at our travel schedule, I guessed that Merideth and I would add 50 to 60 breweries to “The List” in 2011. Well, I was wrong. We visited 74 new breweries in the year just completed, leaving us poised to reach the 700 milestone next month in Australia.
With the year just past fresh in my mind, here are my highlight breweries for 2011.
- Alchemist Pub and Brewery – Waterbury, VT
- Boneyard Beer – Bend, OR
- Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen – Bellingham, WA
- Craggie Brewing Company – Asheville, NC
- Denali Brewing Company – Talkeetna, AK
- Hill Farmstead Brewery – Greensboro Bend, VT
- Redwood Curtain Brewing – Arcata, CA
- Sound Brewery – Poulsbo, WA
- Southern Appalachian Brewery – Hendersonville, NC
And I’ll go out in a limb and predict that Merideth and I will visit 75 new breweries in 2012.